It is an incredibly interesting and well done series! Brandon and I both feel, after watching an hour episode, that we'd just finished watching a movie. There is a wonderful start, build up to the climax, and a good end that you feel complete but just enough cliff hanger to be anxious for the next episode. Love it.
If you don't know about the show, it is an HBO series that covers Prohibition, Atlantic City during that time period, and the strengthening and professional organization of the Mafia. What the show does really well is the dialogue. The word choice (obviously with exception to the points where the men are cussing at each other) and sentence structure is just one we do not use anymore. The outfits are fun (and even more amusing when Lucy was looking for lingerie, LOL). Also, they seem to keep to the period very well. If that time period didn't have it or didn't do it, it doesn't show up.
I will do my best to talk about the show without ruining it for anyone who wants to watch it.
My current favorite characters:
Margaret Shroeder
I love her accent. I love that she's one of the educated women that make Nucky happy that he's supporting women's suffrage. Unfortunately, in recent episodes, I'm questioning her though processes, but, ultimately (at least right now) it seems she's trying to make the best decisions for her family.Agent Nelson Van Alden
Now, him being a favorite of mine is mostly because he is so odd. Yes, he is a dedicated worker, his ideology is extremely conservative and traditional, but behind closed doors, his conventions are expressed in a quite different fashion, one that is not so much conventional.Eddie Kessler
Picking this guy as one of my favorites may seem odd, especially since he is not quite a big player in the show (at least not yet, if he should become so later), but, he is my R2D2 of Boardwalk Empire. He seems to work hard to please Nucky, always seems cheerful, and just seems a little clumsy, but endearingly so.I could list the guys I don't like so much, but it would be about one guy appearing to be a politician through and through, to the point you can't quite decide if an action in the show was because he was actually being good hearted or an action that benefits him politically (or just avoids a potential fallout). Another guy I'm not a huge fan of is because he seems to have high and dry left the girl who mothered his son...and his son, then fell in love with a prostitute? But then seemed to care and love this prostitute fully. That is frustrating!
Either way, I'm looking forward to how this show will progress.
So far, famous Mobsters that are involved in this show so far are:
- Al Capone
- Meyer Lansky
- Arnold Rothstein
- Lucky Luciano
- Johnny Torrio
And some of those guys, at this point in the show, are just "henchmen." They're not big, bad guys just yet. That makes it more fun for me!
And, just to change the pace and mention something else in case someone reading this doesn't give a crap about that show, lets talk about fanny packs.
Yep, I brought up fanny packs. I was looking through something on the internet somewhere (this was a while ago, but something this week made me think of it again) and I saw a mention of a fanny pack being "cute." Let me find one that may have been mentioned as "cute."
Here:

Fine, I'll admit, the fabrics and such of fanny packs CAN be cute, and belts can really accent and add to your outfit, depending on the outfit and your body type, but I'm just gonna say NO to fanny packs.
Thank you very much.
I like fanny packs for the doggie park and long walks. If I owned one, I'm pretty sure I'd wear it there. But I don't think I'd call it cute - just useful. As for the show, I likely won't watch it, but I'm glad you're enjoying it!
ReplyDelete