Monday, August 30, 2010

It's been too long...

So, ya, I've been way lazy about posting. I promise I won't make this one a novel!

I haven't posted because not a heck of a lot has happened, but I think I have some decent updates to report.

Most recently, the wonderful people at work have started orienting me to be able to perform as charge nurse now. It's cool...and ok. Not too crazy business. Mostly, on the weekdays on night shift there is maybe 3 people who are trained to be in charge, and they don't always work on the weekdays. So, since people get sick, take vacation, and don't always work the same days, they're orienting me and I think at least one more (I know they want to hijack John and Christine, but I don't think John has agreed to it yet lol). Either way, it just means I generally don't take a patient and help out on the unit, am knowledgeable about every patient on the unit, am the helper for the unit, the go-between, etc. My first orientation was really nice. A perfect night for first orientation. I have one more orientation, and "Resource" day (meaning I pretty much function as charge nurse on my own but there is someone else there that night that has already trained as charge who I can ask questions of/help from if needed). Anna, one of the night Asst. Clinical Managers who has been the head runner getting me oriented, has already scheduled out when I orient next, am resource, and am in charge by myself lol. I get like $.50 more an hour when I charge, so its not dramatic but still nice. I just hope our staffing stays ok so I can finish out this charge business, which is why it has taken so long for me to orient in the first place!

Next, all I have left to getting my Concealed Handgun License is my fingerprints and to pay the state of Texas $140. I will probably try to get printed September 6th because Brandon needs to be printed, too, and we might as well drive together instead of take 2 trips. I'm not in a hurry. But, I think I will carry a gun when I get my license and, so far, the Springfield XD Subcompact, 9mm. Brandon already has this gun as his backup gun. It is a itty bit big for a concealed gun, but it feels so good in your hand. My favorite gun to shoot so far! (and in case anyone is weirded out by me shooting, I figured I should be proficient in it since I will be surrounded by guns for the rest of my life. If you're like my mom and want to know our stance on when we have kids...ask, I'll tell ya. I've freaking been quizzed about it only 100 times).

I passed my CCRN! That is Critical Care Nurse. Really all it is is a test that covers all areas of critical care: cardiac, neurology, trauma, medical, surgical, multi-systems, stuff like that. I really only am experienced in a small area of critical care so I crammed my butt off (I did try to reschedule but apparently you're locked out of rescheduling 2 business days before the test, so, oops) and passed! I was so nervous because I had typed in the wrong address first and realized when I got there it was wrong, then scrambled to get to the correct address, and once I got there, the proctor had not even arrived! I waited about 7 minutes, then called the company complaining about it. NO WAY was I going to get screwed over because the proctor did not show. But she showed about a minute after I called and all went well! I'm just waiting on my card and information in the mail and then I'll turn it in at work. For having my CCRN or my CNRN (certified neuroscience nurse), I get a $500 bonus, I think, every year. Too bad I can't get 2 bonuses for carrying 2 certifications. I may still take my CNRN, but that I'll wait until the Spring for, so we'll see about that.

Brandon is more than half way through his training. Everyone told him that the training officer he'd have on day shift would be super hard and he loves his current training officer. The guy is practically trying to convince Brandon to try out for the tactical team (their version of SWAT) since he's a team leader or something, and I think Brandon will do that when he's out of training. Which pretty much means we have to live in Denton, not really, but very close. But we drove around Denton looking at neighborhoods the other day and found some possibilities! I'll link a few we drove by:

House A: We like this price and the little description. All the houses in this neighborhood have similar backyards so it would be acceptable for our buttholes. I had to google the address for more pictures. More Pictures

House B: Uhm, a house lol.

House C: This one has wood (or fake wood, I don't care) floors! Score! (carpet + dogs = bad, obviously...least with mine).

House D: Back yard seems cool.

House E: Another house.

Anyways, some of these are a little out of our price range...as in, well, if we wait it out a little longer we could afford them but we'd really like them to be less than $140,000, but we'll see. It was just a reconnaissance event, really. You'll see more psycho Kim posts some day when we're really there and looking inside and out. Just my thoughts for now are 1) I don't give a crap about paint, we can fix that, b) I'd rather have ugly brick and a nice back yard than vice versa, c) gotta have a back yard that isn't tiny. I expect we'll have to walk the pups frequently but I'd like to have at least a decent area for them to expend some energy freely.

That neighborhood is pretty cool, though, because its near a creek. There was another neighborhood I didn't like AS MUCH, but was still nice, that had a lake/pond nearby. That would be cool, too. But we'll see.

And that is pretty much it, I suppose. I have been feeling bad for 2 weeks now and everyone can STOP with the pregnancy comments already! I think I'm more likely to have a clot in my brain than pregnant at this point, thank you very much. As it is, it is likely neither as I feel better today and am currently STARVING for breakfast. So, BYE! :)

3 comments:

  1. yay! a new post :D I've been looking for WEEKS for you to say something new on here. I have some news for you as well, but it can wait for a phone call! ttys

    ReplyDelete
  2. my CHL app has been submitted ;) how's yours going??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just have to send it and the money in, which I'm waiting to do after the beginning of the month's big bills get paid. I got a little over-zealous paying bills last month (since the faster one goes away the faster we can start house hunting) and put me and Brandon on a mandatory DO NOT USE THE CHECKING ACCOUNT AT ALL COSTS for like 5 days! I was so close to overdrawing! Dang me and my knee jerk reactions on long term commitments.

    ReplyDelete