Right now, I use Softsoap Naturals with Light Moisturizers. GAG! In the past I used Softsoap Lavender & Chamomile, but I ran out and the other was under the sink already (guess my parents had used it or I bought it once), so I started using it. I think I'm going to go back to the happy lavender one, but I thought, I don't know, maybe some other people have some lovely hand soap they swear by that isn't expensive? I know I could go spend more money at Bath & Body Works or other places for wonderful smelling soap...but it's just hand soap and there are plenty of good cheaper versions out there. Or, maybe there is some more eco-friendly soap? I don't even know if soap is eco-unfriendly...but whatever. Me and my hand soap are NOT on speaking terms and I do not see an end in sight for this uneasy alliance we currently have, except to break up completely.
Next on my random list of products, is shampoo. I have always dreamed of having a shampoo that made my hair smell yummy all day (well, most of the day). I don't know if it is just my hair, the length/amount/texture of my hair, or my shampoo (or something else I do) that leaves me with hair that just plain smells like hair (not dirty hair, but nothing yummy, either). I've been using Bed Head Brunette Goddess shampoo and conditioner because it smells SO GOOD in the shower. I think it smells like shea butter or chocolate, but it advertises that it smells like almond. Whatever, it is so nice in the shower. But it doesn't stick with me.
Then, Brandon stumbled upon Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special when he was getting his hair cut one day. This left my head tingling in cool happiness and it seemed to stick with me longer during the day. Not most of the day, but definitely longer. However, mint scents are not on my pleasure list right now. I can tolerate them, but, in the shower, when I have to choose to be surrounded by almond and have hair with no smell or mint and have hair with some scent, I choose the almond. I makes me sad...but I'd rather have a happy gut than happy hair. Food is just too important!
So, that leaves me with...anyone have amazing shampoo/conditioner or other products that leave their hair YUMMY? (and obviously doesn't strip your hair and make it into a mess...)
Now, I'll just have to rave about skin products, including my favorites of Mary Kay, because I LOVE Mary Kay. My skin is HIDEOUS right now. Ugh. Who knew you could be thrown back into the oiliness of your teenage years, that were embarrassing enough, as an adult, which seems even MORE embarrassing because you should be past this stage already!? (by the way, random comment...I tend to leave out the second R in embarrassing when I type it. Ugh. Sorry to anyone who ever has to read me un-edited).
Good products can really only do so much when you use them. I have a very, very bad habit of coming home from a 12 hour shift and just going to sleep in whatever the hell is on my face and worry about it later. Shame, shame on me. But, given this isn't exactly a new practice, what is new is how I'm frequently too tired to even want to brush my teeth! (I brush my teeth, I swear, it just involves a pep talk and the fact of how if I don't, I won't really want to eat when I wake up because of the nasty taste). So, even on my days off...my skin doesn't get the attention it should get.
One product that I'll swear is amazing is Borghese Fango Active Mud for Body and Face. Years ago, my mom turned me on to this product. But I was using Clinique mostly at the time, so I thought, might as well get a Clinique face mask for extra skin help. Even the Clinique counter lady told me, "Honey, you can't get better than this." Lol. So mom and I stocked up because the department stores (at least at the time, I don't know about now) were going to quit carrying this product. It is NOT cheap, so I make my mud last, and last it does. But it really seems to help my skin when I use it.
Why did I switch from Clinique to Mary Kay in the first place? If you know me, you know I'm lazy. I'm a procrastinator. Haven't I already basically explained some aspects of this in my life already? Sure, I'll play it off as efficiency in my life sometimes, but, truth be told, I want to get back to doing what I want to be doing as fast as I can (instead of cleaning or drying my hair or cooking). Well, when I was using Clinique, my morning routine was: exfoliate (1 product), wash face (1 product), apply toner (another product), moisturize (another product, but they always encouraged to add ANOTHER moisturizer...), and acne treatment (another product). I don't remember if there were more since it's been quite a few years (8 or 9 years). Night routine: you get the idea, a lot of steps. When I switched to Mary Kay, I started using their Velocity line. The way I understand the Velocity line is that it is designed for teenagers to young adults, or those who are not so concerned with age-reducing things. Either way, the cleanser alone is a gentle exfoliator, cleanser, and toner in one! Woohoo! 3 products/steps down to one! That's my style. To top it, you really only had to use an eye-makeup remover if you needed one (my determination to always use water-proof mascara pretty much necessitates this), because the cleansure would remove your makeup as well. Score! Then use the moisturizer. And you're done. Talk about streamlining.
I have since graduated myself from the Velocity line to the TimeWise products (because, lets be honest, as much as I accept aging, preventing some overt changes in my skin is not like it is a terrible idea.)
Here are my favorite 3 things:
The TimeWise Microdermabrasion kit. I was very skeptical when this was being pitched to me when it was new. Whatever. Like I needed MORE exfoliation. Whether it is exfoliator (the Refine step) or the serum designed to be used in conjunction with the exfoliator (the Replenish step), I don't know, but when I use this my skin is SMOOTH. Not dry, never raw, just soft, smooth, and comfortable. It can be used 3-4 times a week. It is more on the pricey side of random crap you can do for your skin, but I'd rather use this when I wanted it than feel like investing in the real microdermabrasion at a dermatologist.
Next on my list is TimeWise Night Solution. The Day Solution is awesome, too, as well as needed since it has SPF 25 in it designed for your face (I'm very big on protecting your skin from the sun and tanning safely because you can lose your ear and eye to skin cancer. Not just die, but be deformed. Did you know that?), but the Night Solution is wonderful. It goes on with your moisturizer and you wake up with skin as "smooth as a baby's bottom," as was described to me once (if I got the wrong product on this, I don't care, because this is how I feel about it!). I wish I could use it day and night, honestly.
So, ever had a rough night? Partied too hard, or ended up crying and making your eyes all puffy and drab? Or just stress wearing one you and your eyes are starting to show it. Indulge Soothing Eye Gel is SO the answer! Tip: put it in the refridgerator so when you apply it, you have the extra kick of the cold temperature as well as the wonderful mix of the eye gel. I believe it has cucumber extract or something in it (you know, the fruit you put on your eyes to help with puffiness?). It can be used like an eye mask (leave it on, rinse it off) or just leave it on (personally, this gives me a kind of sticky feeling when I do it, but when you're tired, you're tired). I've always thought it felt cool (as in temperature) putting it on and I haven't kept mine in the fridge lately. I don't use it all the time, but I love it when I do use it.
Side note: These are just some of my favorite beauty products that I've tried. I have nothing to gain by promoting or disliking any of the things listed. I started thinking about products in my home when one of my friends started selling Mary Kay (and if you need a consultant, I can get you an email address of one).
Those are my favorites. Tell me what you're must haves are!








:)
ReplyDeleteAlways loved the night solution. I agree, it's effects can't be denied. I haven't bought any in a while though. As far as hand and body soaps go, yes, they can be eco-friendly and eco-unfriendly. I'm into the following body soaps right now: http://moksaorganics.com/
ReplyDeleteOooh, cool! Some of that bath stuff looks like must buys when I get my sweet bathtub, too.
ReplyDeleteWow - after coming back to see if you'd commented, I realized I said "it's" instead of "its." Eww - I hate when I make yukky grammar mistakes like that.
ReplyDeleteI don't have a handsoap I love, I literally buy what's on sale at the store. As far as long lasting scented shampoo, the only one I know of is also mint, which you don't want right now. Just live with the almond scented one for now and you can smell your hair later! :)
ReplyDeleteAlso, I have 2 must have beauty products, which of course are both in the makeup department. One is Laura Mercier's secret concealer. It's amazing and very light on my skin. The other is Estee Lauder's Doublewear compact. It's foundation in a powder and I put it on with a foundation brush that takes like 2 seconds versus other foundations I've used. :)
Send me your new address...I am sending you THE BEST stuff for your skin!
ReplyDelete-Robyn