Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Birthday, houses, thoughts, the works...

This past week was my birthday week! Yay! We kept it mostly low key. Just a really fun breakfast with friends and my mom (everyone else were being "good" and were at Sunday School/church). I've never been there for dinner but Smoke is just so amazing for Sunday brunch! I love it SO MUCH!

I got my usual, which I will post the picture of, again!



I forgot my camera at home (bad me), so I don't have any pictures of all of us at the dinner table, but I think some were taken so maybe I'll see a copy and can post it later.

Coincidentally, we also saw a little lizard running around on the patio. And I'm not talking about "little" as those geckos that are everywhere eating all the bugs. This one was maybe about 6 inches long and had leathery skin...like lizards. He was a quick little waddle-er. I don't think we got a picture of him, but it sure shocked me to see him!

Work this past week was a little of a roller coaster for me. First day, I worked as the float nurse from the stroke unit again. That's so boring and usually ends up throwing my patterns off of when I eat and how I plan out my night, but it's not bad work. My second night, I took care of a patient who had a serious brain surgery and we had to control her blood pressure with really tight parameters. And, lo and behold, we find out she's having pain early in the morning (she had difficulty verbalizing things to us), so I gave her some pain medicine, which didn't really work. Then, I gave her a different pain medicine, which worked really well, but she sounded "drunk" on the medicine. Of course AT THAT TIME is when the neurosurgeons found it appropriate to visit her and I had to explain that she has been neurologically the same, despite her slurring now. And that's also when the attending told me I talk too fast. /sigh lol My third night was much more low key because the previous night stressed me out so much that I asked for a different assignment and I had a pretty decent night.

Even though Brandon and I are on night shifts together again (FINALLY), I still end up with some free time I fill with reading TheNest. Lol. I can't keep myself away. However, after reading some posts of girls complaining about things they've been asked or has been said to them, comparing it to things the girls at work and I have talked about people saying to us, and things I've directly observed, I have my own rant about appropriate things to say to people, whether you think you're close to them or not.
  • Don't ask a girl/couple any of the following, or derivations of such: When are you getting engaged? This implies you think they're perfect for each other, seem to be working well, and that the boy should ask the girl to marry him. Sure, that could be the case. But you never know what relationship they have, how often they argue (I'm assuming if you know they argue a lot you wouldn't ask in the first place), or if the girl had already been nagging the boy about marriage and it's a sore spot because he isn't ready/doesn't want to/other non-fun situation you can fathom. If you really want to know something like that about that person/couple, ask something more generic, like, "How are you and so and so?" or "How are things going?" Maybe they'll talk to you enough to allow you an "in" to more appropriately ask her/them what plans are in the future...
  • Don't start conversations, even if you know they girl/couple well, with: So when are you going to have babies? This is a sore subject for many. Even if the answer is never, the chick may not want to tell you why. Maybe she just doesn't want them, maybe she thinks she'll be a bad mom, maybe she and/or the significant other are infertile and its a sore subject. Just don't ask. Say you know the couple does want babies, still, don't ask. What if they're trying already and, by you asking, are inadvertently rubbing it in she doesn't have her positive pee stick yet. Oh, jeeze, even more so, if they are dealing with infertility and are on all kinds of meds to increase their chances of having a baby, its just rough. And for some reason everyone wants to know this of couples! Every time I'm sick at work, like I don't feel well or whatever innocent symptom it may be, I get at least once, "Ohhh, you may be pregnant!" Now, most of the time it's given in jest, but still, depending on the thickness of one's skin and the personal endeavors behind closed doors, do you wanna be the one responsible for making that poor girl cry in the bathroom because you accidentally reminded her that she's not pregnant and would like to be? I want babies. Honestly, it'd be super cool if I was pregnant right now. But I can't, since I live at my parent's house, until we buy a house. How LAME would it be to turn my computer room/my brother's room into a nursery...VERY LAME! If you really want to know, just ask the generic question something like, "So, any plans in the next few years?" Sure, house, master's, baby. Thanks for asking.
  • Don't start a conversation with the joking comment of: So, you're still married? It could be funny, I suppose. It's awkward, for sure. Unfortunately, it sounds like you're implying they SHOULDN'T be married. Even if the girl/couple didn't think along those lines, do you know what's going on in their home? Are you sure they aren't in counseling just to stay married and you opened up with that line? Talk about a push from you to not be married anymore. Even if they're happy with an awesome relationship, how are they supposed to take a comment like that. "Uhm, ya, why wouldn't we be?" That ruins the "funny." Or, maybe a sarcastic response, "For now..." Well, now the comment initiator has to decide if they're serious or not. What fun is that? It's too serious a topic. Besides, I just don't understand the reasoning behind a comment like that. Its just not funny. Maybe someone can enlighten me how it comes off as funny...I would say something more like, "I'm so glad to see you guys," or, "How is being married?" or maybe, "How are things working out?" Just depends on your comfort level with who you're talking to, I suppose, and your purpose of delving into that line of questioning in the first place.
  • This one is a bit different, but still, I must rant. Don't take everything so personally. We all grew up and left middle school and high school a long time ago. Put petty crap aside and think about what others think and feel. If you're offended, figure out why you are offended. Is it just because someone misunderstood you? Then help them understand, but bitching someone out isn't helping someone understand. It's bitching them out. Don't understand how come people don't see it your way? Put yourself in their shoes and pretend whatever was happening happened to you. Does it make anymore sense or feel any more similar to whoever's reactions? We've had some people at work ask for the nurse they had not to be their nurse again (I'm sure it's happened to me, and I'm ok with it because I know I did everything I could for that patient and to protect that patient's life and health and longevity). But, what happens is the fact that a miscommunication occurred. That is pretty much always the case. So, both nurses, patients, and families of patients can all miscommunicate and it sucks. But, ultimately, if one or the other were to take a moment and see things differently, maybe they'd understand why things went the way it did. And, in that particular example, especially where I work, sometimes you'll never know. But try not to be so vicious. You're probably just being sensitive when feelings are hurt that way. Get over it.

I had more....but I can't think of them right now, for which I'm sure you're thankful. However, I can honestly say, unfortunately, I know people who have heard at least one or more of those comments. And reading TheNest.com has shown me that we're not the only ones hearing such random things. My disclaimer: of course, my rant does not fit every situation. However, it is meant to ask those who are the "offenders" or "offended" to think twice before saying something silly like that or thinking what was said was meant to be hurtful. Some of us are made of steel, but others are not.

And one more random rant...I hate waiting for a month for a refund. Ugh.

Moving on, apparently this past week was also Pit Bull Awareness day...one of the days...and it's titled something like that. Anyways, I <3 pit bulls. I heart all dogs who are raised to be good dogs, who are not raised to be bad dogs (and I don't mean bad dogs like mine who rip to shreds every toy they ever have but the ones who hurt people or who are vicious to other beings...and not just hunting because my dogs have killed things, too) Anyhow, I think you get my point. I think the "bully breeds" can be very good dogs and, possibly, come with the challenge of needing experienced owners and not just some newcomer to the pet owning world who doesn't know how to properly keep a big, strong dog in line.

But, my point is, I came across this website and found it so amusing!

Pick the Pit Bull

I won't tell you which number is the American Pit Bull Terrier, which is the point of the link. But I will tell you which numbers of dogs I love so much!

#6 Is a pretty fella, and some people have theorized that JJ may be part #6.
#8 Is always a favorite!
#12 I LOVE! Especially that picture! I want to kiss him and hug him and make him mine!
#16 I think looks a lot like Bella. Especially the ears and the lean, solid body with skinny legs and a skinny tail. Bella just has little feet.
#19 I love the coloring on these dogs!
#21 Has a very special place in my heart!!!
#23 I totally wish I had one of these! If you google this dog, the puppy pictures are to die for!

And, I know you're sad I'm trying to bring this epic post to an end, but lastly, I'll show you the houses we drove around and looked at from the outside. There were no open houses so we didn't get to hit any of those up. These are listed in order of favorite to least favorite...of our favorites. If you understand that, double points to you.

Once again, the usual thoughts of, "I'm going to repaint that room," and, "I'll pick a backyard over a brick color," and stuff apply.

Our Favorite The kitchen is so pretty! It doesn't have white cabinets (which I'm personally not a huge fan of, but it isn't a deal breaker), it has tiled floors (easier to keep clean with four doggies), a decent sized back yard, the brick is a teeny bit pink, but its livable, its very open which looks like it has a great feel to it and room for the dogs to not hit things when running around (as we all know they'll run around a lot!)

First Two Story The reason this is listed second is because I like the brick better and, if the house next to it is any example, it has a pretty nice sized back yard. The yard size may be similar to Our Favorite, but, given we haven't officially toured these back yards, we don't really know. Both are listed the same lot size, though. This house's online pictures suck. But, alas, this is about all we have to work with. If you look at the link at the bottom of the page you can get street views of it and bird's eye views, and the bird's eye view will give you an idea of what we're thinking is a decent backyard. The pictures taken kinda suck as some of the light balance is too yellow, and I'm not a huge fan of the decoration present in the pictures, but oh well.

Second Two Story This one has more pictures and is almost tied with the previous house. It has paler brick, which I'm not a fan of, but its not a deal breaker here. Ugh, it has white cabinets and appliances (look, I'm just worried about messes and dirty dogs and my ability to keep white things WHITE). It does have laminate floors! That is a total plus! I don't want real wood, I want the laminate (refer back to crazy dogs and what you think their freakish toe nails would do to real wood flooring). Game room upstairs! Sweet! I call that COMPUTER/SPORTS room...until kids are old enough to take over its OURS! (this excited me about upper house as well, but this one seems to have more pluses.) Here's hoping that this one DOES last long and drops in price. The other two story seems to have been on the market since August. This one has only been around since September. And they're not dropping their price like the other...so either there is some serious discrepancies, or I bet this one won't sell as fast just like the other.

Four Bedrooms All I can think is: this poor house, what is wrong with it?! It's been on the market since MAY! The back yard size sucks compared to the other houses, but it has four bedrooms. The price is probably the lowest in the neighborhood and surrounding similar neighborhoods. I have zero interest in the playground that comes with it, though that wouldn't be a deal breaker. Unless they had some special requests with it. Otherwise, it seems to have carpet, eh, and there are ZERO pictures of the kitchen and master anythings. What the heck!?

A Little Expensive... Ok, yes, this house is currently actually out of our goal price range, but its worth considering, I think. But the price makes it this low on the list. It is another two-story (and, really, I am not fond of two-stories) but its very pretty on the outside. It has laminate and tile floors (yay), white cabinets (nay), and a decent back yard. I actually am a little dumb and just noticed its 4-5 bedrooms! It lists bedroom number 5 as a great study...so I'm assuming it is actually a study and wouldn't really function as a bedroom. It also has a game room!

Ok, that ends the houses in the subdivision I like the most. They're near Wiggly Dog Park (I love that name) and not far from I35, fast food restaurants, grocery stores, etc. The last house is a consideration, but it is on the opposite side of the highway, not far from it, but farther from shopping and things that would make life super convenient. And there is no dog park nearby.

"Over the "Rainbow" The negatives: the backyard size, the backyard landscaping, the square footage (I know most of the houses I listed are 2k or less but this is the smallest). The pluses: laminate wood floors, non-white cabinets (though I'm a fan of darker colors, these are at least not white).

So that is it on the houses.

Did I mention that one of my dogs opened a mini-bottle (think airplane size) of whiskey and drank it? Ya, we don't know who it was. Here's to *ahem* learning to keeps things out of reach of devious little creatures with abilities to do devious little things.

And, with my car in the shop, Brandon sleeping, my checking account balanced, bills paid for now, blogging done, and my major WoWing done, I suppose I'll go watch tv and hope I can go give blood today!

Bullet-proof Bella.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for birthdays and long posts :) I also like the new background.

    ReplyDelete