So, I'm bored with the limited amount of dinner recipes I have in my brain arsenal. I can pull off a handful of things, but, most of them run in the same "dinner families," as I'll call them, so I can't use many of them in a week.
For example, tacos and enchiladas. Both easy. Both yummy. Both Mexican/TexMex in flavor, so you really don't want both in one week.
Parmesan chicken, pesto chicken, spaghetti. All kinda Italian-y. Don't want them all in one week.
Brandon doesn't like pork chops, which sucks. I really liked the pork chops I used to make, thanks to a really cool person at church submitting the recipe to the church cook book. Its SO easy and you only really get one big pan dirty. Maybe a bowl or two, but thats it! Veggies, meat, sauce, all one pan. Love it. But Brandon does not. Grr.
So, on the way to the store today I got on his iPhone and looked up some stuff on mobile.foodnetwork.com. I found this (from the non-mobile site) Spicy City Chicken. Now, do not trust its prep time and such. Its like not right lol. But, I'll give you the low down.
First, I loved it. If you like chicken enchiladas with tomatillo sauce, this stuff is up your alley. A little bit of spice (or more, depending on how heavy your hand is with some of the ingredients) mixed with a nice sweet flavor.
Side note: we used regular yellow onions instead of shallots because, well, thats what we could find, we're not going to a specialty store for this. And we didn't get the scallions because the Produce guy in Kroger was doing something that took more than 5 minutes in the exact spot where the scallions were, so we decided to just ignore them. Oh, and we used only chicken breasts without skin, cause thats how we roll.
Other alterations Brandon made. He chopped up the cilantro and tossed it in the pan. And I really don't think he strained the sauce after he pureed it, but I liked it that way. It was probably thicker and had more fullness to it. But I bet it worked better because he chopped the cilantro.
What I REALLY want to do is make that sauce, put some chicken and mild cheese in some corn tortillas and smother them with the sauce. It would be a different kind of enchilada but a good one!
So, the thing says prep time 20 min and cook time 1 hour. Flip that. Prep time 1 hour cook time 20 min. The sauce really is the thing that takes the longest. So if making the sauce is part of prep, then its 1 hour of prep time. If making the sauce is cooking it, then its 1 hour cooking it. Broiling or grilling the chicken is dumb fast. Like 12 minutes maybe. We broiled it. We dragged it out a bit cause I had the chicken ready and Brandon was still working on the sauce. It was a partnership to make diner tonight. :)
Oh, and what was funny was the smells. It smelled a lot like the goat curry from Jamaica, especially since it was green in color, just like the goat curry. But its flavor was more like the sweet and spicy tomatillo flavors, which I LOVE along with cilantro. Yum.
We liked it. Thought I'd share. It makes plenty, too. I'm looking forward to left overs.
No comments:
Post a Comment