As I have very little to talk about right now, I figured I'd toss out my current wish list! And, by wish list, it would be AWESOME to have these things, many if not all, by the end of the year! Hee hee. I know, I know, expensive and crazy...but with money management and patience I can make my dreams come true! (and save money, too!)
A House: Ok, for anyone even half-assed reading this blog for the recent past, you know this is obvious. I should be calling a highly recommended real estate agent today to hopefully get some balls rolling on this!
A Digital SLR Camera: So the picture below is not necessarily the one I'd want (I have a lot of research to do before I figure out which would be best...and talking to my dad about it), but I want one. Why not just stick with old trusty? (my Canon digital camera) Even though I love it, and I think it still takes wonderful pictures, I'd like to have the versatility, quickness, and higher quality photos for special aspects of my life! When we go to my brother's medical school graduation in May, my dad won't be pulling out his old trusty, he'll be pulling out his Nikon with his fancy lens (I don't know if I'll need the super fancy lens just yet), and attempt to catch awesome pictures of my brother, even if we're in the back of the auditorium. Because the digital SLR cameras can do that...old trusties can't. (at least not mine.)

High efficiency, front loading washer & dryer, with stands: Once again, the brand I'm not sure of, but I REALLY would LOVE this style of washer and dryer. I'm not really into being green (at least not yet), but I LOVE making efforts towards being so. (Don't think I won't be pricing tankless water heating systems once I buy a house. We may not afford it immediately, but it's on the "some day I want" list.) Even though I currently use only the most generic washing choices there are, I still alter things some when I do my laundry. If I have enough, I have an entire load (probably small) of delicate laundry that will end up being air dried on whatever surface or hung in whatever spot I can. There are a handful of clothes I wash for color protection (how ugly would a police uniform be if it faded fast? yuck!), and others I wash as hot as I can, with bleach if I'm not worried about the color, to ensure ultimate cleanliness. Some clothes I won't dry, some need extra drying. Sometimes I forget my clothes in the dryer and have to dampen a sock or something, spray a ton of Downy Wrinkle Releaser, and run damp dry to lose the wrinkle. I think I could definitely fall in love with some of the new and fun options these systems contain. Like the Steam function! OMG! That would thrill me. No more Brandon getting frustrated about his work uniforms being wrinkly...STEAM THEM! And about the stands...remember, Brandon and I are kinda tall. If you're at Best Buy or Sears or Fry's, or whatever place sells home appliances of this type, walk by them. Take note of the ones on stands and the ones off stands. Not only do the stands place the washer and dryer at a more convenient height (which I could foresee being a problem if you have low shelving to be concerned about), but they also provide neat and convenient storage! Detergent, softener, bleach, dryer sheets, etc, all neatly fit into the drawers that smoothly slide in and out. The current set up as it is...much of this crap ends up sitting on top of the appliance, which inevitably makes it sticky and dirty. I know these are more on the expensive side, but they should use less water and energy, thus, not only saving in utilities, save on the cost on the earth (hopefully). And color? I'm sure pricing will be the primary drive in what color I get. I'm not sure I really care...who the hell is going to see/judge my home on the color of my washer and dryer? Really? I didn't think there were websites out there called Project Washing Room to see who was the most creative/cost effective/interesting in how they decorated and arranged their utility room. Whatever.

King sized bed! Oh my gosh, this is the thing I dream about most often, probably. Sure, I'll have to buy some more stinking sheets and such (but I did find some, so far, super awesome sheets on Amazon at not bad price for what they're advertised as, so at least I have that resource). Not only would it fit Brandon and my big bodies better, but, on the occasion that we invite our dogs to hang with us in bed, it'll be a little more forgiving. Not roomy, because, as anyone who owns a dog and invites him or her into bed with her would probably know, the dog snuggles up close to you no matter what. The only catch is, did you manage to secure enough blankets that you can turn over any which direction and not have your bum exposed because you can't yank more covers from under the dog? Because, you know, moving the dog is close to impossible. If the dog doesn't growl at you, like my JJ does, the dog plays as if she's a hippie, like Bella, and insists on being passively aggressive in not giving up the comfortable niche next to you she so carefully plopped into. Or, the dog could be like Ribby, and jump off the bed and pout next to the door, refusing to rejoin you on the bed because you'd already, obviously, let him know he wasn't welcome, just because your butt was cold and you pulled more covers out from under him. Either way, a king would be more forgiving...more covers, more room to maneuver...hopefully. And more room to stretch out when you're big like me and Brandon. And a pretty bedroom set wouldn't suck, either. :) Picture is just a random example...

The obvious, a comfy couch, chair, and coffee table. I'll probably go a little more cost effective here, especially on the coffee table (because, knowing Brandon and I, it would also be known as our dinner table many of nights, though I insist on having a dinner table and to eat on it most of the time.) I would probably look for leather because, as much as everyone fears the dogs' nails puncturing the leather, I think removing their fur is easier off leather. And, in college, I had a leather couch and my dog with talons never managed to scratch the leather (plus I kept it well treated, according to instructions.) I don't think we need a whole couch and love seat set...we don't really plan to have so many people over on a regular basis to necessitate that, and a good sized couch and a lazy chair would be fairly sufficient. Just add the kitchen table and maybe some comfy bar chairs (depending on how my future kitchen is designed) that should more than cover having company over. And I'd want a flat, non glass coffee table. Not much would be placed on it, as dog tails and coffee tables seem to be similar heights, thus nothing would really remain ON the coffee table, but I'd like to have an alternate place to play cards, or dominoes, or whatever game we have...should we play a game, other than the kitchen table. Flat and smooth is the way to go. Plus, without ridges, cleaning would be easier!

And, lastly (I hope), a cool refrigerator! I love the idea of the bottom freezer for a couple reasons. Freezers drive me nuts. I end up shoving stuff in them and maneuvering through the levels of crap means it all falls onto the floor, and thus must be rearranged. With a bottom freezer...maneuver away! I'm sure MY freezer will still be a mess, but at least I won't fear for my toesies. Next, you do not have to bend all the way down the the floor to get to the crisper in the fridge! Everything is neatly, hopefully, arranged in the fun levels and drawers all about waist height at the lowest. Also, I'd want the French doors because having one door open out comes out a wide distance (fine, not that wide if you're used to it, but it would also make a difference based on my future kitchen if I had the room for regular doors) and, the one door just seems heavy. The French doors feel lighter. Actually, if I had to pick right now, being somewhat money conscious (and I really mean somewhat, this is still expensive!), I'd want this fridge. But the fridge below is super awesome in person!

I think that's enough, don't you? This year seems as if it will be filled with lots of spending, but these items are mostly capital cost items. These things should last a very long time, and really be once in a ten year time period (or longer!!!) purchases. Now, I'm totally amped up to go balance the check book (which I do weekly). Gonna go see how much of our money I can ear-mark SAVINGS and be ready to spend on some of these pretty things!
Hey! Who knew we'd both be shopping for household items at the same time! I've done hours of research on washers and dryers. Before I can buy anything, I have to measure the laundry room (has hookups, and I don't want to rent). The LG is the top rated one based on Consumer Reports. Also, last Friday Christopher and I went to the Dump on 635 to check out their selection. Nothing we felt like we had to walk away with right at that moment, but at least we got a good idea of the price ranges for various things. And, I've been trolling CraigsList as well. When all else fails, it's good to have a plan C. :)
ReplyDeleteVery cool! Thanks for the info, and sounds like you guys have good plans in place.
ReplyDeleteI just found your blog and I love it! :) I became your newest follower! :) Great blog!
ReplyDeleteI would love to have all of these things as well! What a great list. :) Let me know if you ever wanna go shopping! I love looking for furniture. Also, my parents have an LG front loading washer/dryer with stands that we got on Black Friday last year at Conn's. They love it and we got a really good deal at it - that's the only reason why Daddy and I were there at 4am!!
ReplyDelete